HATC Programs

Emergency Housing

The Housing Authority operates 4 units (16 beds) of emergency housing for families experiencing homelessness for up to 90 days.

Families with children are provided with 30 to 90 days of shelter while they locate permanent housing. Case managers work with the families to address the issues that caused them to become homeless and provide them with referrals to other services available in the community.

As openings in the program occur, families experiencing homelessness are referred to the shelter from the Family Support Center and Safe Place.

Transitional Housing

Transitional housing provides temporary rental assistance (up to 2 years) while families that have become homeless seek permanent housing and address the issues that caused their housing crisis.
Participants pay 30 percent of their income for rent. Participants attend educational workshops volunteering in case management services including the development of a housing stability plan. As openings in the program occur, families experiencing homelessness are referred to this program from the Family Support Center and Safe Place.

Permanent Housing

Housing Choice Vouchers

The housing choice voucher program is the federal government’s major program for assisting very low-income families, the elderly, and the disabled to afford decent, safe, and sanitary housing in the private market. Since housing assistance is provided on behalf of the family or individual, participants are able to find their own housing, including single-family homes, townhouses and apartments.

The Waiting List for the Housing Choice Voucher Program is CLOSED

Mainstream Vouchers

There is no special application process for the Mainstream Program. Your answers to the questions on the Voucher application will help us determine your eligibility for this program. Simply complete the Voucher application form.

Family Unification

Eligibility for this program is limited to families who are referred by staff at the Division of Children and Family Services (DCFS). If you are working with Child Protective Services (CPS) or other programs at DCFS, please talk to your worker about your possible eligibility for this program.

Family Self-Sufficiency

This program is available only to a select group of households who are already receiving assistance under a Voucher Contract.  For more information, please talk to the Housing Specialist assigned to you at the Housing Authority.

Mod-Rehab/SRO Program

The following apartments have a subsidy separate from the Housing Choice Voucher program.  Residency in one of these buildings does not put a tenant in line for a voucher.  While living in the unit, the tenant’s rent is subsidized.  You must apply on-site for the project you are interested in and that is currently accepting applications.

Fleetwood Apartments

119 7th Avenue SE, Olympia WA  98501. Owned by the Low Income Housing Institute.  Provides studio apartments for single individuals, who are homeless at time of application. (360) 704-3035

Martin Terrace Apartments

  • 7917 Martin Way SE, Olympia WA  98513
  • 40 1 & 2 bedroom apartments on Martin Way near Hawks Prairie
  • (360) 456-5125

Project-Based Voucher Units

Several apartments and single-family communities in Thurston County owned by not-for-profit housing providers which have Project-Based Voucher assistance attached to the units.   In other words, applicants accepted for tenancy will get the benefit of a voucher subsidy.  Once the tenant has completed at least one year of successful tenancy, he/she is eligible for a mover tenant-based voucher as soon as one is available.

Information on these projects follows.  Note that some of the units have specific eligibility criteria and serve special-needs populations.  If you meet the criteria and would benefit from these services, you may be eligible for the project’s waiting list.

You must apply on-site to any project you are interested in and that is currently accepting applications.

Evergreen Vista Apartments

  • 1209 Fern Street SW, Olympia WA  98502
  • 2 & 3 bedroom apartments
  • (360) 352-2638

Drexel House Apartments

  • 606 Devoe Street SW, Olympia WA  98501
  • Operated by Catholic Community Services
  • Furnished studio apartments for single individuals who are homeless at the time of application/li>
  • (360) 753-3340

Homes First!

  • 4310 6th Ave SE #B, Lacey, WA  98503
  • 1-5 Bedroom homes, duplexes, triplexes, and apartments
  • (360) 236-0920

Krislen Apartments

  • 9525 Cullens Road SE, Yelm WA  98597
  • Owned by Yelm Community Services for persons 62 and over or persons with Developmental Disabilities
  • (360) 458-7000

Current Housing Choice Voucher Waiting List Applicants – Updating your application:

Once you submit your application, it is very important that we have current contact information for your household, particularly your current address. Also, if your circumstances change to a degree that may affect your eligibility or priority for assistance you must report these changes. To report a change of circumstance, you may pick up a Change of Circumstance form at our office, or down load the Waiting List Change of Information form. All changes must be made in writing and submitted to our office by fax or by mail.